So its been just over half way with my trip and I'm started to miss home a lot more.
This Thursday morning I got to work on a banana plantation prunning dead branches and cutting down some of the trees that were too many crowded in a cluster to give the trees room and better nutrients. It was fun to walk around with a machette like blade cutting things. The banana trees have lots of banana juice/liquid? in them so it was a pretty messy job at times. Then we had lunch and relax a bit and then helped peel a bunch of casava roots, which they eat and when boiled taste a lot like potatoes. That afternoon/night I met up with Kaben and a group of Americans to play a game of ultimate frisbee. They play every Tuesday night, but moved it to Thursday because some people couldn't make it that Tuesday. It was a pretty intense game of 5 on 5 and there were a few Ugandans that started to watch to see what we were doing. Then we all grabbed some dinner at an Indian food restraunt afterwards.
On Friday we woke up and worked in the plantation again and finished it up around lunch time. We relaxed that afternoon and took naps as we were all tired. By the time we woke up a huge thunder and lightening storm started so our plans for the afternoon to go into town were ruined. It was some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard. So we had a lazy afternoon/night, just reading and hanging out indoors. I started to really miss home that day and had some doubts of why I am here. I was feeling like I wasn't doing much here at all, but it was good to get a message from my brother Zack putting some things into perspective.
On Saturday Richard and his friends went home in the morning and I slept in a rested some more as I was getting sick with a cold type thing, just sneezing and a headache and felt weak. I met up with Kacie that afternoon at the hotel she was staying at as she was in Gulu that weekend two teaching some classes to girls. We got to go into town that afternoon and walk around in the market and shops which was fun to see and experience. Its pretty much like a thursday night market but all the time. We grabbed dinner and then just relaxed at the hotel and I rented a room for just the night.
On Sunday we packed up and checked out of the hotel. During breakfast they had the tv on playing the second Highschool Musical, which I thought was pretty interesting. We went to church at one of the places Kacie had worked before with Sports Outreach. It was a really small church with people from the village around the farm that they had. I liked the service a lot and the worship was good even though they just had drums for music. They are very enthusiastic and energetic. I got to play around with the kids afterwards while waiting for some people we were going to connect up with to drive back to Kampala and play on the drums with them. In Gulu the word for white person is Munu (I think that's how its spelled) so it was funny to hear them call me that. That afternoon we drove back to Kampala the rest of the day. When I got back to the Conerstone guest houses the power had been out the past couple days. A group of people my age had gotten there a couple days before so it was fun to meet them and we ended up playing telephone pictionary and the game of things that night with flashlights.
Nate,
ReplyDeleteI love you buddy and I am praying for you. So proud of you and confident that you are right where you are supposed to be! Glad you are doing better. Sounds like you are having quite the adventure and meeting some great people. Have a great day! Love the updates!
Nate,
ReplyDeleteWe are so proud of you and have been talking about you during our trip in Cancun (Mom, Dad, Aaron and I) I know that it can be tough to experience all these new things and not have the familiarity of what we know around us, but as I am learning during our next journey to Port Angeles to trust God and know that He is with us no matter where we go is such a good thing to learn! I am so proud of you as you experience this time in Africa, and just know that it will be quickly coming to an end and to cherish the time you have now despite the home sickness. You and I are so similar in this way and I am truly amazed and proud of you for this journey, its an encouragement to me. I love you little bro.
Love Abie
Hello...
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me but I just stumbled across your blog while trying to pick a title for my own! From this Friday I too will be a mzungu in Uganda for 10 weeks, volunteering for the Uganda Rural Fund in Masaka district. I've just been reading through your posts and the first one amused me, because apart from the fact that you're an engineer and I'm a biochemist we seem remarkably similar - I too am an obsessive planner but am going on a God-guided mission this summer to do whatever He wants! And to try to work out how to use my skills to serve the needs of a country I fell in love with a couple of years ago.
I'll be praying for the rest of your trip (though I don't suppose you'll be in Uganda for much longer now) and I would really appreciate it if you could pray for mine too, cos although you don't know me, you know the challenges I'm going to be facing travelling on my own to work in Africa!
Also I know this is totally out of the blue and very last minute, but if you happen to be free on Friday morning and want to come to Entebbe and say hello that would be cool (I'll be in a hotel in Entebbe on Thursday night and then leaving for Masaka at 2pm Friday). I love meeting people, especially people who seem to have a similar calling in life to mine! If you'd like to then maybe e-mail me before I leave? Though you probably think I'm a bit of a weirdo to even ask...
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." - Romans 15:13
Amy