Sunday, July 24, 2011

Last Week

This is going to be a little brief as I don't have too much time, but I'll do a final update and recap of the trip when I get back to California.

So on Wednesday we got to visit the Village, the orphanage with 230 kids there. We played with the kids, visited the area and the farm that they had and met the people overseeing it. For the first hour being there the kids were grabbing my arms and hands wanting me to lift them up in the air, this got tiring. I got to play a soccer game with the older boys which was awesome! My team won 4-2 and I got the last two goals. That night we went to their fellowship and it was awesome to hear them sing! We stayed the night there at the village.

On thursday we got up early to drive back to Kampala. We had a 3 hour break to grab some lunch and take showers and rest a bit until we drove to the ranch that afternoon. When we got to the ranch we got settled into our room and then went to dinner with a little training facility that they have for hotel management, so the food was really good! Then we went to meet up with Wayne and talk with him, he's been living there for 21 years doing African Children's Ministry.

Friday, the next morning, we had breakfast with the same hotel management group and then we toured the ranch and talked with all the principles of the school. Then we had lunch with the boys and talked with them. That afternoon we drove back to Kampala and had about an hour and a half to relax and rest before we went to visit one of the youth homes for dinner. When we got there they had a program planned out for us and did dances, songs, a skit, and a modeling show. These girls were from the ages of 14-17 who were rescued from sexual abuse and prostitution when they were a little younger. It was amazing to see the joy in their faces.

Saturday morning we relaxed and I prepared for the sharing I was going to do with the youth home we were visiting that afternoon. I got to share on their precept that week. They do one everyone, 50 precepts of Jesus. This one was on having vision/mission for the future. It was awesome to share and hear how my last talk with all the older kids from the homes had affected some of the kids. That night we had a little more time to relax and skype all the different parts of my family. Its amazing how big my familiy and how spread out we are right now, took 2 hours to catch up with everyone as we skyped my dad, my sister's family, Zack's family, josiah, and then talked with my sister Abie on the phone.

Sunday we went to church with our friend Kacie from Chico and grabbed lunch with here. Then we went shopping in a market for some gifts with her. Then that afternoon/night we got to take Dunstan's family out to dinner as he had driven us all the way to Jinja and back and picked my family up from the airport with me. We took them to a place with a little play area and it was fun to catch up and see his wife and 4 little kids all under the age of 6.

Tomorrow on Monday we will be doing some last minute shopping (coffee) and grabbing breakfast before the office meeting at 11:30. Then after the meeting we will be getting a quick lunch and then off to the airport as I fly out at 5:15 tomorrow afternoon.

Its bittersweet, but I'm ready to be back home. Its been an awesome trip and a really good growing experience. Again I'll write another post to summarize the trip and some of the things I've learned while being here when I get back in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment