Today was a really good day! I got up and went to one of the youth homes where everyone was meeting as we were going to do community service together in the community. We started working cleaning the sides of the roads and picking up trash. As we were working the little kids from the community kept running up to me and were wanting to hold my hand or arm and they were almost always around me which made it hard to work, but was still good. They eventually joined in working as well along with other members of the community as they saw what we were doing even though they weren't part of our group which was cool to see! They were asking if we were a part of an organization or something, but this was really just an act of community service that the youth homes started to do every other Saturday not really affiliated with Cornerstone even though they are all apart of it. After working they had the people who helped work and the little kids to the house and gave them some food and they had some songs that they sang and danced. After hanging around for awhile when they were dancing I got to show them and teach a couple of them how to Swing Dance and they were going to teach me some African dances next time I visit.
Later that day I went with Richard as we were having a scrimmage for fun against the Wolves team which has 4 teams from different ages but we were playing the men's team that they had that's affiliated with Cornerstone with ages from around 20-30. Our team was a thrown together group of some other people who have gone through the Cornerstone schools. We ended up losing 4-2 as they have been practicing with each other every day for a long time now and our thrown together group didn't really work together very well, but it was fun even so. I ended up getting a goal and an assist, but only played for the first half as I was exhausted and still getting over being sick. I surprised pretty much everyone there that a Mzungu could actually play soccer. Quite a few of them came up to me and complimented me on how I did and said they were surprised. I was the only white person on the soccer field or in the crowd watching. They took the lead early in the game, and then we tied it shortly after. They scored again a little while later and then we scored a little while afterward. The first 4 goals probably happened within the first 20 minutes or so, which by that time I was already pretty tired and out of shape. Then they scored near the end of the half. The second half they only got 1 goal, but pretty much dominated the game it seemed like. Afterwards I got to go to a place with milkshakes for dinner which tasted extremely good after a long day.
So that was my day, I also posted some more photos on Facebook if you wanted to take a look.
So cool Nate. I love reading your updates.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful to see God's handiwork Nate!Do so enjoy following your escapades!..Tina
ReplyDelete