Sunday, June 26, 2011

Days 3 and 4

Day 3:

Yet again I woke up at 3 in the morning which started off a really long day. I had time to skype with some friends and read before starting the day. At 8 I got to tag along with Richard as he went to visit some business's and see how they were doing as Cornerstone loan's money to help get small business's started for people to make an income. We visited one that raised chickens for eggs and two others that raised chickens for meat. I got to see more of the country outside the capital of Kampala and see the smaller villages where they don't see many white people and little kids would point and yell with smiles on their face "Mzungu" as we drove by. I finally got to have some chicken on a stick! After going around with Richard, I went with Councellor to pick up kids from around the city from their youth corp homes and take them to a show that an orphanage was putting on to raise money for their food and other needs. Total I spent about 6 hours driving around this day as it had started to rain too on top of all the places we had to go which caused traffic jams. The show was very good to see, they had dances, songs, and a fashion show. This specific show was for the other schools around Kampala. Afterwards some of the children from other schools came up to me and asked for my autograph or just wanted to say hi or if they could be my friend because of my color, which I was not expecting. Then after, we had to drive around again dropping the kids off at their homes and finally I had time to get some dinner around 830!

-I have put some pictures up on facebook, but because of the amount of data it takes to do that I won't be able to put more up on their or here until I get more data on my internet stick as you pay by the amount of data you use for internet.-

Day 4:

I finally got a full nights rest and got used to the time difference! I went with Richard to church at Watoto Church, which is more modern and western as the people that go there are mostly youth and college students and about 10 percent of the people that attend are white. The speaker was very good and enthusiastic and the worship time was very lively as people were dancing and singing and they had a big choir singing on stage. After church Richard took me too a restaurant that's called I love New York. I got to have some pasta and will definitely go there anytime I'm missing American food when I have the chance. Then I got to meet up with a student at the university who is going to school for social work and got to share with him why I am here and he brought his friend from school who also went through school at cornerstone and is studying Mechanical Engineering at the University and I got to share with him as well and he is going to take me around the University sometime today. It was good to talk with them and here their opinions and advice about Americans coming and trying to help who come and start organizations. The main thing that they highlighted was that the focus needs to be on teaching and building up Ugandans with leadership and give them skills that they can use the rest of their life. The reason being is that Uganda lacks leadership and even when organizations come to help and are here for while when they leave a lot of things go back to the way they were. Or they help certain needs of the people but do not focus on leadership and eventually things will be miss managed or fall apart because of the corruption in the government or with the people that lack integrity in leadership roles. It is important to instill leadership and character so that they will prosper the rest of their lives and impact the country and not just a quick temporary fix that some organizations bring.

-The past two days have been very impactful and I look forward to the rest of my time here and what will happen and what I will learn.-

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this weekend seems to be the kickoff for lots of great opportunities and connections! Thanks for all the details and thoughts! Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are keeping busy. Thanks for writing about your adventure so we can pray and be a part. Love you!

    ReplyDelete